Monday, August 16, 2004

Why I'll never use BT again - A couple of years ago the company I was working for had to provide a video-over-IP terminal to a client for remote VHS duplication - I had to organise the installation of a leased 512kbit line into the client's premises (but we would pay for the install and lease). I ordered the install and felt very pleased with myself for calling the Post Office ahead of time to confirm the post-code. The day the job was due to happen I called BT to confirm and they told me the job had been cancelled by engineering because I'd given them the wrong post-code.

"But I got the postcode from the Post Office - surely they are the people who do post-codes?"

"Sorry sir - it's not the one engineering have on file for that building"

"OK, to avoid this happening again can you please tell me what post-code engineering have on file so I can re-schedule the job and be confident it won't get bounced back again?"

"I'm sorry sir, engineering won't disclose that information"


Eventually I did get the line installed and the day it was livened up I found myself sitting on the floor of the client's comms room with my laptop connected to the new router and no return pings from their end - I could see a carrier on the line, but no data. So, I called BT again and gave the various job numbers etc. and got the reply:

"I'm sorry sir, that line isn't due come on line until 2099"

He honestly said that without a hint of irony!

No comments: