Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Cerberus FTP server

I host several websites on my server under the stairs at home - running IIS (for my sins!) and came back to a bunch of emails moaning about not being able to update pages. I had a good look and although I seemed to have FTP access to IIS via the command line and via SmartFTP I couldn't get Contribute or Blogger to touch it - IIS would keep breaking the connection a few seconds after any transfer started.
It transpired that there was a hotfix over the weekend that "...addresses some compatibility issues with IIS and passive FTP transfers" - well, if the issue was it used to work then they have indeed addressed it with the now it doesn't solution! I suppose I could un-install IIS and re-install (not forgetting to disable auto-hotfix!) and spend half a day getting the configuration right but I tried Cerberus (Rupert mentioned it yesterday) and was amazed - installed and configured in twenty minutes and all my users are happy again. Yet another one of those cases of grasping the nettle and realising how easy it is to break away from Microsoft and how much better things seem to work afterwards.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

M$ is a pain

I'm gonna buy a Mac soon.

-Kevin