Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Cory Doctorow is a genius!

Aside from him being an insightful writer and having some very intelligent things to say on the whole DRM/copyright/copyleft debate he seems to be a nice chap - my eldest boy, Joe, had him sign his copy of Makers at a recent book signing and he had the time to talk and be interested in a nervous sixteen year-old.

Anyhow - do email disclaimers annoy you? They do me. A lawyer friend told me that most of them are unenforceable because they assume the disclaimer can carry more legal weight than the contents of the email (which of course they can't, according to Contract Law 101). Cory has a fantastic email sig;

READ CAREFULLY. By reading this email, you agree, on behalf of your employer, to release me from all obligations and waivers arising from any and all NON-NEGOTIATED agreements, licenses, terms-of-service, shrinkwrap, clickwrap, browsewrap, confidentiality, non-disclosure, non-compete and acceptable use policies ("BOGUS AGREEMENTS") that I have entered into with your employer, its partners, licensors, agents and assigns, in perpetuity, without prejudice to my ongoing rights and privileges. You further represent that you have the authority to release me from any BOGUS AGREEMENTS on behalf of your employer.

No comments: