Sunday, October 16, 2005

"Dancing" Dave Beach and my new DVB capture card

I pushed the boat out to replace my old Hauppauge PVR250 card. The Hauppauge was good but it suffered from only having an analogue UHF tuner. Because it has an MPEG2 encoder on board you can capture high bit-rate (12mBits long-GOP) streams without burdening the processor. In it's place I'd got a VideoMate DVB-T200 which has both analogue and DVB capture. The quality of the Freeview stations is superb and after having to monkey around with the BIOS to for it the assign a unique IRQ to the card it performs well (but on my 1.7Ghz media PC it does hammer the processor).
Download a clip from last week's Scrapheap Challenge to see what I mean - captured on the card and then compressed to DivX (plus a bit of de-interlacing and re-sizing for square pixels) using VirtualDub.

Oh, but the important part of the post was to see my old mate Dave Beach on the show - Dave had called me to let me know a couple of weeks back. I used to work with him at Resolution - he is the best wedding DJ in the world and all round good guy and it was good to hear from him again - he's currently editing for Formula One.

No comments: