Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Dark side of the moon

I'd forgotten just how good a record this is - partly because I put my vinyl deck away ten years ago and partly because I've been listening to lots of Americana for the last few years. Anyhow - I saw the BBC documentary (which repeats endlessly on BBC4) and is nearly always available for download on UKNova. After that I just had to go and grab the CD - it sounds better than I ever remembered!
Something that tickled me is the Wikipedia page on progressive rock - here is a little extract;
...lyrics that convey intricate and sometimes impenetrable narratives, covering such themes as science fiction, fantasy, history, religion, war, madness, and literature. It is relatively rare for progressive rock songs to be about love or sex, and practically unheard-of for such songs to concern other pop staples such as dancing or cars.

...and mercifully never about bitches, hoes, money, guns and widescreen TVs!

No comments: