Monday, March 27, 2006

Fixing the eCinema

I had to replace some power supply modules in a DCM23 monitor - I often demo these to clients and have recently taken on the role of advising people in setting up rooms for grading. You can't overstate the importance of the room when doing colour grading. It is as significant as the colourimetry of the monitor.
Anyhow - once I got the back of the DCM23 I noticed how well put together it is - I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise as (for my money) it is the best of the current crop of "reference" TFT designs - essentially display surfaces that you could use as a replacement for a Sony BVM-D24 hi-def monitor.
I had the pleasure of having a days colourimetry training from Martin Euredjian of eCinema systems recently. He is a guy who knows his colour! Although I'd done all the BBC training on the subject back in the late 80's I'd forgotten a lot (and not understood some of it - Metamerism for example). He opened my eyes to why we do certain things in TV - what is necessary and what is based on the "jungle knowledge". It's definitely left me a lot more equipped to not only answer questions but also to challenge some of the phoney-baloney we get from (supposedly!) senior engineers.

Oh, the image is of the insides of a DCM23!

No comments: