Monday, March 13, 2006

Laptop re-pave & Ubuntu

I don't know why I let it go on for so many months! Suffering the pain of a Windows install that is over a year old is unnecessary and easily rectified by a repave. I don't know what detritus the Microsoft OS accumulates but my laptop was taking eight minutes to boot to the desktop - now I run lean and mean and don't have any extra garbage that I don't need. The computer is no slouch - 2Ghz P4 with 2gigs of RAM - but after a complete reinstall I'm down to less than a minute!
I also took the opportunity to try out the new version of VMWare. I put Ubunutu in there (I find running Linux in an emulator, although slower, is less hassle than dual-boot). It's pretty good - I was a bit doubtful about Ubuntu "root-less" operation but it does seem to work with the sodu tool.

No comments: